Challenges in the West in building solidarity with the Resistance
Speech delivered by Nadine Rosa-Rosso at the Beirut Forum on Resistance, Jan 17th 2010
The Zionist aggression against
Hence according to Dirk Marty, reporter to the European Council “to find yourself on this list comes to being condemned to the death penalty”. The aggression against
What the Zionist army has achieved today with its soldiers, F16’s, bombs and tanks is what the European government tries to achieve by engaging through legal means that will in effect criminalize the resistance and those who support it. So resisting against aggression and colonization also means that what should be fought for today in
It is for this reason I called on the 1st of February 2009 for the withdrawal of Hamas and other Palestinian organizations from the European list of terrorist organizations.
We understand and base our arguments on the premise that the question of
- The European Union along with the
have always requested that peoples organize their elections under the watching and scrutinizing Western eye. Thus when the results are not satisfactory they organize an embargo, participate in the war (directly or indirectly) and support the aggressors so that it can be sure to overthrow the elected representatives. USA
- The European Union needs to admit that the time for colonial settlements is over and that it needs to be stopped. The EU needs to renounce to its imperialist politics and needs to adopt post-colonial relations with the rest of the world, in respecting their sovereignty and dignity. This implies also renouncing an internationally racist policy that treats
Third Worldsocieties as incompetent and helpless in choosing their own political system in a responsible way. It is now time to respect Resolution 2621 XXV (12.10.1970) of the United Nations that asserts “the inherent right of colonial peoples to struggle by all necessary means at their disposal against colonial Powers which suppress their aspiration for freedom and independence”.
- The European Union needs to distance itself from the
USAand needs to stop blindly following the military adventures of the in their imperial wars. To remove Hamas from this list might be a step in that way because this is a USA list established in 1995 after the Oslo Accords to constrain the Palestinian people in giving up its fundamental rights. Their right to resistance is highlighted in the first article of the Protocols additional to the Geneva Conventions of the 08.06.1977 wherein “peoples are fighting against colonial domination and alien occupation and against racist regimes in the exercise of their right of self-determination, as enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations” U.S.
- To remove all Palestinian organizations from any terrorist list is recognizing the legitimacy of resistance. All of the resistances around the world were labelled terrorist. In the last century resistance to Fascism were labelled terrorists by the Nazis. Nationalist leaders such as Nelson Mandela, who was imprisoned for decades was accused of terrorism. It is only in July 2008, 15 years after having received the Nobel Peace Prize, and 14 years later when he became president of
South Africathat the decided to remove Mandela’s name from their “Terror List”. And today we commemorate the death of the nationalist Congolese leader Patrice Lumumba, assassinated for having claimed policies of independence. The celebrations in United States Franceand of the 50th anniversary of independence of numerous African states might be an opportunity to denounce these murderous policies. Belgium
- Finally it is also to be recognized our right to our resistance here in European countries, so we can put an end to criminal politics in the criminalization of activists, of anti war combatants and anti imperialists. This criminalization has particularly affected immigrants of our countries. In particular Arab and Muslim communities who are communities under attack as people who want to poison our cities with minarets and hijabs.
Reactions of this appeal have showed that despite the obstacles it is possible to build in Europe and
Secondly it is needed to impose here with us different point of views but also impose a physical presence of representatives of resistant groups so that we establish direct connections with peoples struggling across the world.
The world is changing but most traditional politics in particular the Left does not admit it. The time the West dictates its system is over. Economics have changed with the rise of countries like
People struggling have the possibility today to reunite their resistances to confront their governments and an imperial character that is weakening and disintegrating. If these peoples unite and overcome their differences, this century will not be the clash of civilizations rather it will be the victory of resistance against imperialism.
Translated from the French by Sons of Malcolm
Nadine Rosa-Rosso is a Brussels-based independent Marxist.
She has edited two books: "Rassembler les résistances" of
the french-language journal 'Contradictions' and "Du bon
usage de la laïcité", that argues for an open and
democratic form of secularism. She can be contacted at